Movies. Discuss them here

Kerensky

Movies. Discuss them here

Post  Kerensky on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Well we have a thread for music and games so how about one for the other great pastime, films.
    What have you seen recently, looking forward to, picked up on DVD, love or hate. That kind of thing.

I recently saw G.I. Joe which was a good film as it doesnt try to be more than it is.
    If your in the mood for a simple no-brainer CGI action flick then it is one of the better ones i've seen. As a franchise starter it has to contain a bit of backstory as well so it may be a bit longer than necessary trying to get it all in but i hardly noticed.
    Maybe if you know the original Joe stuff you will disagree but I had no previous attachments to it so just got on with enjoying myself.
    All in all if you have some spare cash or need to kill some time while waiting for James Cameron's Avatar to come out then I would recommend it.

Nox

Re: Movies. Discuss them here

Post  Nox on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:09 am

I was dragged along to G.I.Joe the other night with some friends, I wasn't reall expecting anything other then mindless, family safe action. It was the most painful 2 hours I have experienced since Starship Troopers 2.
    Katby

Post  Katby on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 am

Nox wrote:I was dragged along to G.I.Joe the other night with some friends, I wasn't reall expecting anything other then mindless, family safe action. It was the most painful 2 hours I have experienced since Starship Troopers 2.

Oh dear. I felt this way about both Transformers.
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:20 am

Oh god, don't even mention ST2. How did they go so wrong from the first one?
    If you read the book though, the first film is nothing like it. Apart from a few names and designs there is almost no connection. The bugs are still there and attack en masse but they also have lasers. The MI are actually mobile as opposed to just standard infantry running around as one dude is supposed to cover about 10 square Km in his powered armor.
    Both are good but so very different. The CGI tv show is actually closer to the book in some regards.
    I liked both transformers but there are glaring faults in both of them, I just didnt think they were enough to spoil how good the rest of the film was.

I've just watched rabbit proof fence on dvd which is based on a true story and not half bad.
    Its about three native children in Australia who get taken from their family and sent to this education centre to learn how to become civilised. They're half-caste so they think they have the right to do this. They escape and it follows their journey back home as they walk along the rabbit proof fence that goes past it.
    Maybe worth a watch if your intersted in that kind of thing.

Carbonated Lemon

Post  Carbonated Lemon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:44 am

I've been curious about G.I. Joe. I vaguely remember a couple episodes of one of the cartoon series and, more recently, found a few comics based around the franchise and have become mildly addicted to them. Plus, I'm an occasional sucker for "big," loud action flicks. Smile

Being a big fan of hauntings (and the supernatural, in general), the last movie I watched is The Haunting in Connecticut. While it wasn't the most intense experience I've had with a movie of this type (the re-make of The Amityville Horror still reigns supreme!), it was still suspenseful, had its share of scares, and the story was consistently interesting.

The main movies I've been excited about, at the moment, are Rob Zombie's interpretation of Halloween 2 (loved his version of the first film, and the original version of Halloween 2 is one of my favorite films) and Shutter Island. I've been reading the book that Shutter Island is based upon, and, so far, it has been excellent, and the advertisements I've seen for the movie make it seem faithful to the source.
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 am

Went to see Inglorious Basterds the other day. Most of you may have seen it already but if you havent then I would highly advise going.
    I don't want to spoil it so I'll just say that if you've seen the trailer, it's nothing like that. Those are pretty much just the action shots but there is a lot more to the film than that and the other stuff is better.
    In a sense I guess the trailer is a collection of the worst bits which certainly says something for the rest of the film.
    Anyway go see it and find out for yourself.

Anyone seen District 9 yet? I want to go but thought I would see others opinions first.
    Eltoshin

Post  Eltoshin on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm

I have yet to see both of those movies, but I heard that both of them are quite awesome...especially District 9. a friend of mine said that its like an anime with a western feel to it...in movie form...so I'm dying to see it. what would you say is the best thing about Inglorious Basterds.
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:43 pm

I don't know. I guess that going in expecting to see more like the trailer and then it being even better was very good. It's hard to talk about best bits without spoiling the film.
    I think my favourite scene is a bit where they meet an undercover agent in a pub. Can't say too much more about it but look out for that bit.
    Katby

Post  Katby on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:25 pm

I really want to see both of those, especially Inglourious Basterds (hopefully I spelled that the correctly improper way, spell-check suggests I did).

Carbonated Lemon

Post  Carbonated Lemon on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:17 am

I recently watched "Zack and Miri" (easily one of my favorite comedies) for the second time. Rarely have I seen a film that could make me laugh long and hard enough to the point where I am actually on the brink of tears.

Let alone, several times.

Per viewing, as it turns out.

That said, this movie turned out to be a very pleasant surprise for me (with a decent message near the end, to boot).
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 am

Just got back from seeing District 9 and, wow.
    That is one good film. I am more of a Sci Fi fan anyway but even so I reckon it's better than Inglorious Basterds. My friend who I went with says it's even better than Star Trek so that gives you an idea of the kind of quality of this film.
    If you know Halo then you can spot the Halo movie assets pretty easily but that really isn't a problem. The only thing I found wrong with it is a bit of a plot hole. It can be explained away as perhaps an ommission or a cut scene or something so it can be overlooked.
    Not saying this will be to everyones taste but I think it was one of the best this year.

Guess we'll have to see what the rest of the years like. Fantastic Mr Fox, 9, Avatar, Sherlock Holmes.......
    Eltoshin

Post  Eltoshin on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I have a feeling that Avatar is going to be a let down...but I do have my high hopes for how good it can be =/ as much as Sherlock Holmes look awesome...I'm just disappointed on how Watson is depicted. (He's actually quite a badass) but the more I hear about how good district 9 is...the more i need to watch it Mad
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:04 pm

I know what you mean about Avatar. I saw the trailer and it looks like a pretty predictable storyline which normally ends in a way I don't much like.
    I'll have to see it either way but the trailer actually lowered my expectations which I guess is good if it really is as awesome as they claim.
    I never read much of the Sherlock Holmes stuff so I'm not completely sure on what the characters are supposed to be like anyway. All I know is it looks good and has Robert Downey Jr. in so should be good.
    I think out of all the films out now that D9 should be at the top of the list to go see, followed by Inglorious Basterds.
    Eltoshin

Post  Eltoshin on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Gah, that's it...I'm gonna go see if me and my bro can go watch it tomorrow...I need to see this movie =/
    Alexander

Post  Alexander on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:30 am

Do the Starship Troopers sequels really suck? I grew up with movies like that! There the whole reason why I'm a sci fi fan. Still havent seen the sequels though... The Back to the Future movies are my sci fi favs.
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:19 am

Yeah the sequels really do suck. I watched SST when I was About 10 or 12 and thought it was awesome. Read the book after that as well.
    The 2nd film is just dire though. It's an interesting idea, taking it down the horror movie but just doesn't work in my opinion. They also replaced the Morita rifles from the first with these cheap, horrible light guns where you can see the blinking, blue LED at the end and it feels like the troopers should be making their own sound effects for them. "Pew Pew Pew" or something to that effect.
    There is also a heavy weapons guy who seems to be carrying a girder?
    The 3rd tries to get back on track by actually portraying some of the war and i think the actor who played Rico in the first comes back (not 100% on that).
    Unfortunatley there is another weapon change and they also look shoddy but more importantly the acting and story isn't all there. It basically pulls a Star Trek V which is not good.
    One thing I did like though was the Marauders which the film gets its name from, though they are in it for all of 5 mins.
    All in all I would say watch them at your own peril. Maybe you'll like them but I personally don't.

P.S. Post is long so I'll keep this short.
    Watched Role Models
    Awesome
    That is all
    Alexander

Post  Alexander on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:03 am

Kerensky wrote:Yeah the sequels really do suck. I watched SST when I was About 10 or 12 and thought it was awesome. Read the book after that as well.
    The 2nd film is just dire though. It's an interesting idea, taking it down the horror movie but just doesn't work in my opinion. They also replaced the Morita rifles from the first with these cheap, horrible light guns where you can see the blinking, blue LED at the end and it feels like the troopers should be making their own sound effects for them. "Pew Pew Pew" or something to that effect.
    There is also a heavy weapons guy who seems to be carrying a girder?
    The 3rd tries to get back on track by actually portraying some of the war and i think the actor who played Rico in the first comes back (not 100% on that).
    Unfortunatley there is another weapon change and they also look shoddy but more importantly the acting and story isn't all there. It basically pulls a Star Trek V which is not good.
    One thing I did like though was the Marauders which the film gets its name from, though they are in it for all of 5 mins.
    All in all I would say watch them at your own peril. Maybe you'll like them but I personally don't.

P.S. Post is long so I'll keep this short.
    Watched Role Models
    Awesome
    That is all

Thanks for the heads-up on the SST sequels. Really I'm not surprised they suck. I hate it when developers change things, its not the first time Ive seen something this.

Thanks again for all the information I'll bear it in mind when I watch them. Smile
    Eltoshin

Post  Eltoshin on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Zombieland, saw it today, go watch it, NOW!
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Hmm, been slow around here recently.
    Anyway I saw Up not long ago and would say if you like Pixar then you've probably already seen it. More to the point though I thought it was a good film. Personally I prefer Wall-E but thats due to the setting rather than any fault in the film.
    Consider seeing it if you have the time and money. Also 3D was fun and it did it properly unlike The Final Destination which treated it as a gimmick.

Next film I'll be seeing is Fantastic Mr Fox. I have good memories of this as a child so I hope this turns out well.
    At least it has tried to be a bit different with the stop motion animation which isn't used much nowadays.

Carbonated Lemon

Post  Carbonated Lemon on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:14 am

Being a fan of the "Saw" series since the first one hit theaters, I basically had to check out the sixth film. It mainly kept to the same type of formula as the last few installments (something I anticipated and enjoyed, but it probably wouldn't sway the opinions of anyone who doesn't care for the series), which, lately, has contained a few story elements relating to events that set the overall events of the series into motion, along with a central plot.

Sometime soon, I would like to see "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," "The Hangover," and "Paranormal Activity."
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 am

The X Files was alright but they maybe left it a bit late from the end of the series to make another film. Been a while since I saw it so can't remember specifics but something about it just didn't sit right with me. It was still ok I think but could have been better.
    The Hangover was pretty good. Normally I look at those types of films and its the same people doing the same stuff under slightly different circumstances. They're just like all those carbon copy romcoms which annoys me.
    However for this one it was different actors other than the usual suspects and I thoughroughly enjoyed it. It was different in enough places to make it stand out from the rank and file.
    I am considering Paranormal Activity mostly because of the trailer showing all the people being scared and i think 'really?'
    Also it's been a while since I've seen a new horror film so I'll probably give it a look.

crazzycat

Post  crazzycat on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:12 am

I watched an interesting movie last night it's called "Ugly Truth" have you watched it?
    Kerensky

Post  Kerensky on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:47 am

Is that the one with Gerard Butler?
    Not really my type of film and I can usually spot them because they all copy Love, Actually.
    The White background with the red and black lettering which is exactly the same for most of the romcom stuff out nowadays is a massive warning light to me. Pretty sure that the ugly truth uses this as well.
    I went to see The Box yesterday and me and my friends all agreed that if you watched the Twilight Zone episode it was based of you wouldnt miss much but it would cost less and take up less time.
    Its not bad but I can't really recommend it because of how little it adds to the episode.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 am